Baton Rouge Injury Lawyer
Injuries come in a variety of types and levels of severity, but they all hurt—physically and financially. If your injury wasn’t your fault, a Baton Rouge injury attorney can help you recover compensation.
A driver T-bones you as he runs a red light; the neighbor’s dog attacks; you slip and fall at the grocery store and break your leg. Suddenly, you’re facing serious injury and a long, expensive road to recovery.
When a negligent person or entity causes your accident, it can be especially difficult to accept. Accidents can put a major dent in your finances. Medical bills pile up overnight. If your accident has forced you out of the workplace, the financial stress grows.
In addition, there’s the physical and mental toll an accident can take. If a negligent party causes your injury, it can feel like life will never be normal again. Being responsible for the fallout of an accident caused by someone else can be an incredibly tough pill to swallow.
However, you don’t have to go through this struggle alone. A Baton Rouge injury lawyer with Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers will work hard to hold the negligent party accountable and get you the compensation you deserve so your life can get back to normal.
Different Types of Injuries
A Baton Rouge personal injury attorney from our firm will have experience handling all types of injury cases, ranging from moderate to severe:
- Brain Injuries – Head injuries are especially common after car accidents. Traumatic brain injuries like concussions and brain tearing can cause lasting disabilities.
- Broken Bones – Millions of people break a bone each year in the United States. Broken and fractured bones can cause extreme physical, mental, and financial stress if they force you out of the workplace. In the most severe breaks, called comminuted fractures, the bone may be broken in three or more places.
- Spine Injuries – Spinal cord injuries are categorized as either complete or incomplete. In an incomplete injury, some sensation or movement is possible below the affected area of the spine. In a complete injury, no movement or feeling is possible below the affected area. Car accidents are a leading cause of spinal cord injury.
- Burns – Burns can be particularly devastating because they have a higher likelihood of causing lasting disfigurement and pain. Burns can be classified as first, second, or third degree. A first-degree burn will damage only the outer layer of the skin. In a second-degree burn, the layer below the top layer of skin is damaged. In a third-degree burn, all layers of skin are damaged, as is the underlying tissue.
- Amputations – Losing a limb is traumatic under any circumstances. Many amputations occur after a traumatic event like a car accident. Medical malpractice can also lead to amputation—for example, a doctor accidentally removes the wrong leg.
Statute of Limitations
If you’ve been injured because of someone else’s negligence, it’s important to seek legal help as soon as possible. Louisiana has a strict one-year statute of limitations for all personal injury claims. If you wait beyond this one-year deadline, your case is extremely unlikely to be heard in court.
Evidence and Comparative Fault
When you contact a Baton Rouge accident injury lawyer, you will go over all the evidence available in order to build a strong case that clearly shows why the negligent party was at fault. Evidence may include police reports, medical records, witness testimony, and photos or videos.
Having strong evidence to support your claim is crucial because Louisiana follows the doctrine of comparative fault. This means that, even if you were partly responsible for your accident and injury, you will still be eligible to recover damages. Your settlement amount will simply reduce by whichever percentage you are found responsible.
That’s why it’s important that your attorney is able to show that you hold little to none of the blame.
Determining Claim Value
We know how quickly an accident can put you in debt. If your injuries keep you from working, you’re missing out on income, and the bills from the accident become a serious stressor in your life.
If another person caused your accident, you shouldn’t be stuck paying all the bills. A Baton Rouge injury attorney can help keep you free to focus on your recovery and getting your life back. Your lawyer will fight for you to receive compensation that accounts for all your financial hardships, which may include the following:
- Current and future medical bills
- In wrongful death cases, funeral costs for a loved one
- Lost wages
- Lost income opportunity
- Physical and emotional therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Decreased quality of life
Contact a Baton Rouge Personal Injury Lawyer
Whatever your injury, a Baton Rouge injury lawyer can help you hold the negligent party accountable and get you the settlement you deserve. Contact Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers today by calling 225-387-2323 or filling out the form below.