Car accidents have become very commonplace in our society. Most people just write them off as something that happens and is a part of life. Unfortunately, more times than not a car accident happens due to someone else’s carelessness. These auto accidents could have been avoided if not for the other driver’s negligence and when this is the case, you should contact Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers, skilled Baton Rouge auto injury attorneys.
Most of us know how serious car accidents can be and how they can impact your life. Some of the statistics are simply shocking. Check out these surprising facts you probably didn’t know about cars and car accidents.
- There are an estimated 135,000,000 cars are on the roads in the U.S. every single day.
- The first speeding ticket was issued in 1904 and the lead foot was traveling at a shocking 12 miles per hour in an 8 MPH zone.
- An unfortunate 40% of all fatal accidents involve alcohol.
- It’s estimated that you will curse about 32,000 times in your life while driving a car or truck.
- The first car used a lever not a steering wheel to direct the car.
- The windshield wiper was first invented by Mary Anderson. This was actually before Henry Ford’s Model A was ever manufactured. Her then antiquated windshield wiper became standard on all automobiles in America in 1916.
- The majority of car accidents occur within 3 miles of the driver’s home.
- Each year there are approximately fifteen pedestrian students that are killed by school buses and most of the time these incidents occur outside of school hours.
- Vehicle rollovers are the most deadly type of car accidents.
- According to quite a bit of research and contrary to popular belief, men actually cause twice as many accidents as women.
- Sadly, teens are at a much higher risk of being injured or killed in a car accident. On average each year, 300,000 teens are injured and 5,000 teens are killed.
- When you’re talking or texing on a cell phone while driving you are insurmountably increasing your chances of being in an accident – by 400 percent.
- The average text message takes 4.6 seconds to write and send. This means that while driving, you would be taking your eyes off the road long enough to drive the length of a football field blindly and that’s if you are travelling at 55 miles per hour. Imagine if you’re going faster!
- In the time that it took you to read this list that we’ve compiled, there have been four automobile accidents.