Over 125 years of
Combined Experience
Get MY Free Consultation

No Fees Until You Get Paid

Can I Sue for a Drunk Driving Accident?


If you have been in a drunk driving accident, you might be facing both emotional or physical injuries. You might even be losing wages because you can’t work. During this difficult time, many people consider speaking with a car accident lawyer to see if they can recover some of their medical expenses or other damages. 

If someone who is impaired while driving injures you, you can sue them. This means filing a lawsuit and taking them to court. In most cases, a settlement will be reached, and you will receive compensation. In some instances, the lawsuit might be taken to trial. 

Legal Options for Suing Drunk Drivers 

If a drunk driver hits you or your car, there are several different types of legal actions you can take against them. The state will still be filing charges against them, and it might include jail time or fees. However, a criminal case doesn’t directly give you any compensation or help. 

For this reason, many victims decide to file civil lawsuits against the driver who hurt them. A civil suit is completely distinct from the criminal charges they might be facing. If you had a loved one killed in an accident with a drunk driver, you can file a civil lawsuit on their behalf to recover damages. 

When to Partner with a Lawyer

Many drunk driving lawsuits do not ever go to court or trial because they are negotiated and settled by the attorneys. Negotiating with a lawyer or the insurance companies on your own can be difficult. Having a lawyer doing the talking for you can make the process much easier and quicker. 

If the driver got a DUI conviction, it is even easier to file a civil lawsuit because the court and judge have acknowledged that the driver was driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 

An attorney can also help you get the settlement that you deserve and work with insurance companies for you. Usually, the company and courthouse will be more likely to get things done quicker when dealing with a lawyer. 

Get Ahold of a Lawyer After a Drunk Driving Accident

Now you have an answer to your question: Can I sue for a drunk driving accident? You don’t always have to go to court for a drunk driving incident, but it can help you recover damages and pay for medical expenses. It can also help if you have experienced the death of a loved one.  

Find out what option may be best for you by talking with a personal injury lawyer at Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers. Call 225-387-2323 to reach our firm, or fill out the contact form below.