Every day, pedestrians are struck by moving motor vehicles while out on their morning jogs, walking to work, or just taking a stroll downtown. Sadly, the consequences of these accidents are often gravely serious.
When the carelessness of someone else is the culprit for your injuries, a Baton Rouge personal injury lawyer with Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers can review your case for free and help you file a claim for compensation.
Find out more about the main causes of pedestrian accidents below.
The Primary Factors in a Pedestrian Accident
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, thousands of people are killed every year in pedestrian accidents, and a magnitude more are left with injuries.
Some groups of people, such as males, the elderly, and young children, are particularly susceptible to injuries in pedestrian accidents, or are overly represented among the many injured every year.
But what are the main causes of pedestrian accidents? Usually, a driver’s or someone else’s negligence is the culprit.
Some common scenarios in pedestrian accidents include:
- Breaking the Rules of the Road – This general category could refer to actions including driving in excess of the speed limit or failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crossing zone.
- Distracted Driving – That split second when someone glances at their phone to read a text, look for a song, or enter an address into the map could have devastating consequences.
- Drunk Driving – Sadly, some people make the fateful—and illegal—mistake of getting behind the wheel of a car after having had too much to drink. It is the innocent pedestrians who often end up paying dearly for the decision.
- Left-Hand Turns – Due to the lack of visibility, it’s possible for a driver making a left turn to blindly enter the path of a crossing pedestrian.
- Drowsy Driving – When a driver is tired and falls asleep behind the wheel, their cars often move ahead. Sometimes, it can be too late for the driver to right the course later, and pedestrians on sidewalks, in the street, or passing through a pedestrian zone suffer the consequences.
For as difficult as these situations may be to fathom, if it’s happened to you, you know the kind of damages that a pedestrian accident can have in your life. For that reason, most victims elect to retain the services of an experienced pedestrian accident attorney who can help them file a claim for their medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Have you suffered a pedestrian accident? Was someone else’s negligence to blame? Don’t miss your opportunity to recover a settlement from the responsible party—contact a pedestrian accident lawyer with Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers today.
Call 225-387-2323 or fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation right away.