If you’ve ever been in a hit-and-run collision, you know how frustrating it can be for everyone involved, especially if you don’t have the right coverages on your insurance policy. Beyond that, the at fault driver is nowhere to be found and is never identified! As Baton Rouge personal injury attorneys, we have some helpful tips to aid you in to filing a claim.
- Gather all of the information that you can on the fleeing vehicle. Any information gathered such as a license plate number, vehicle make and model, and the color can help in finding the responsible driver. Make sure you’re not putting yourself or others at risk of getting hurt by trying to track down the driver yourself.
- If the driver that hit you is never located, filing a claim with your insurance company can become more difficult. In this case, it is always safe to make sure you carry uninsured/underinsured bodily injury or property damage coverage in addition to rental reimbursement and collision coverage.
- In the State of Louisiana, carrying the aforementioned first party coverages will make the process less worrisome.
- In the State of Louisiana, if the driver runs you off of the road and does not make any contact with your vehicle, the law requires there be an independent witness to support your claim. This could be another driver in a passing vehicle, but typically cannot be anyone in your vehicle or anyone who could present a claim from the same accident.
- Contact Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers to discuss specifics. Our attorneys are experienced in prosecuting claims from hit-and-run collisions and we would love to help you.
The sooner you act the better our New Orleans personal injury attorneys can help you. We are dedicated to getting you the help you need.