Has Medical Malpractice Affected You?
Now that you have read the other blogs, and have determined whether or not you have been a victim of medical malpractice, you should start learning about the damage laws in Louisiana regarding medical malpractice. Once your medical malpractice claim has made it past the medical review panel, there are some things that you should understand and begin to take action on. One of the first moves you should make is calling a Baton Rouge personal injury attorney. This way, you have someone knowledgeable on your side, fighting for you. Here is what you should know about Louisiana medical malpractice laws.
Louisiana Medial Malpractice
- A medical malpractice claim that has made it to the litigation process is considered successful. It has now been determined that you are in fact entitled to damages.
- Unfortunately, Louisiana has a statutory cap on what damage rewards a plaintiff can receive in a medical malpractice lawsuit. This means that regardless of the harm done to you, there is a limit as to what can be recovered.
- Providers with insurance from the Patient Compensation Fund are only liable for $100,000 in total damage, with a cap of $500,000. This means that a victim of medical malpractice may only receive $500,000 dollars from the liable medical entity and Patient Compensation Fund,
- Fortunately, this cap does not apply to future damages. So if you suffer from any further nuisances regarding your medical malpractice claim, the need for further compensation will be determined.
- Unfortunately, there are not punitive damages from medical malpractice eligible for compensation in Louisiana.
While this information is useful and provides insight as to what compensation for damages from medical malpractice are available, it is simply scratching the surface. If you believe you are entitled to damages, contact your Baton Rouge medical malpractice attorney, at Calahan Personal Injury Lawyers.
[uxi_button link=”5044752323″ new_window=”0″ tel=”1″ class=”button-38″ padding_x=”” padding_y=”” text=”Contact Us Today” text_size=”14″ text_size_mobile=”” text_font=”header-font” sub_text=”” sub_text_size=”12″ sub_text_size_mobile=”” sub_text_font=”header-font” icon=”” icon_size=”12″ icon_size_mobile=”” icon_align=””]