Baton Rouge Premises Liability Lawyer
Property owner negligence often leads to dangerous hazards that cause injuries to visitors. If this happened to you, find out how to get a settlement for your losses by working with a Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer.
Whether you’re a customer in a store or visiting a neighbor, you have a right to expect conditions on the property to be safe and free from dangerous hazards. When people fail in these obligations and a visitor to the building or grounds gets injured, it creates what’s called a premises liability incident.
In essence, property owners and managers have a legal obligation to keep visitors safe. This means that if you were visiting a building or property and were hurt by a hazard present on the grounds, you could have a case for financial compensation. Proving your claim won’t be easy, but a Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer from Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers can help you get the settlement you deserve.
What Does “Premises Liability” Mean?
Premises liability is a legal concept that requires property owners to keep their buildings and grounds safe for visitors and tenants. If a property owner was either aware of or should have been aware of a problem but did nothing to fix it, then he or she becomes responsible for any accidents caused by the danger.
These are just a few examples of cases that a Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer from our firm will be able to help you with:
- Slip-and-Fall – Slips and trips are frequent occurrences, and falls are one of the primary causes of injuries in the country. Probably the most famous example is the slippery floor without a warning sign, but these accidents can take many forms, from stairwells in disrepair to broken sidewalks to debris in a hallway.
- Dog Attacks – If you had a right to be on the property, then the owner is responsible for controlling their canine. Dog bites can be especially traumatizing and often involve young children.
- Fires and Explosions – Building owners have an obligation to keep conditions up to fire code. If faulty wiring, leaky gas pipes, or something else caused a fire that inflicted property damage and severe burns, they will be responsible for compensating the damages.
- Toxic Exposure – From lead paint to asbestos, property owners must ensure that there are no toxic substances on the grounds. At the very least, they must make certain that you are aware of the danger present.
Proving a Property Hazard Injury Claim
The hardest part of any premises liability claim inevitably involves proving the negligence involved. In order to have a strong case, your Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer will need to clearly demonstrate that you had a right to be at the location and that the property owner both should have known about the danger and did not address it properly.
Depending on the situation, the at-fault party might try to claim that you had no right to be on the property, that there was no way he or she could have known about the hazard, or that you were somehow responsible for your injury.
For example, it’s common in trip-and-fall cases for property owners to claim that the victim was aware of the hazard and didn’t take proper precautions when walking or running through it. We’ll make certain that all of the evidence is collected to fully prove the property owner’s negligence and minimize your own level of fault.
Financial Compensation for a Property Injury
Just like with other personal injury claims, you should be compensated for all of the financial expenses and non-economic losses suffered because of your injuries and trauma. A Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer from our firm can work with your healthcare providers to fully evaluate the value of your claim so that nothing is overlooked when settlement time arrives.
These are just a few of the damages you might be able to claim:
- Current and future medical expenses for surgeries, procedures, and checkups
- Lost wages, income, and earning potential
- Physical and emotional therapy
- Transportation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of life
Speak with a Baton Rouge Property Hazard Lawyer
Premises liability cases might be complicated, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get the settlement you deserve for your injuries and damages. Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers has extensive experience with these matters, and we guarantee a larger settlement than what you were initially offered—even after our fee is deducted.
It all starts with a free, no-pressure consultation with a knowledgeable Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer. There’s no obligation involved, so you don’t have anything to lose by exploring your legal options for compensation. To schedule yours, simply complete the contact form below or give us a call at 225-387-2323.