Finding a personal injury attorney may appear to be a simple enough task at first. You’ve likely seen countless commercials, billboards and print ads, so finding the one who will represent you probably doesn’t seem that difficult. However, selecting a personal injury attorney is no small matter. In fact, it is perhaps the most important decision you will make following an accident. Each case and every client is unique. There can be no cookie-cutter approach to maximizing results for a client who has sustained injury, and finding an attorney that will most professionally and efficiently handle your case is critical.
Rather than leaving the skill of your attorney to chance, it’s important to take care in your selection. There are many missteps that can be made throughout the process of a personal injury case, and in order to avoid these, you will need a skilled lawyer with a proven track record of successful case outcomes. To ensure that you can have the up most confidence in your chosen lawyer, there are some crucial factors you should consider:
- Make Sure Personal Injury Law is The Lawyer’s Primary Focus – Not all lawyers who handle personal injury cases focus on the field of personal injury law. Some attorneys handle many different types of cases, which divides their attention among different areas of law and prevents them from obtaining expert-level knowledge in any single area of law. An attorney that focuses primarily on personal injury law will have a much more detailed understanding of the individual needs of each case, the tricks and tactics used by insurance companies, and knows what it takes to maximize the recovery.
- Track Record – A skilled Baton Rouge personal injury lawyer will have a history of successful results and satisfied clients. (85% of our clients are referred to us from former satisfied clients!) Do not be afraid to ask for references from former clients. You may even want to gather the advice of friends or family who may have had their own positive experience with a personal injury lawyer. Once you’ve narrowed down your many choices, you can request a consultation to discuss the details of your case.
- Contingency Fee – A reputable attorney will not be paid until you are. Rather than charging you a retainer or hourly rate, you should expect a predetermined percentage of your settlement to pay all associated legal fees. This type of guarantee protects you as a client and helps ensure that you receive the best representation possible.
- Steer Clear of “Discount Lawyers” – A smaller fee doesn’t necessarily mean more for you. When they are unable to generate the business they need, some lawyers resort to advertising a reduced attorney fee to entice clients that wouldn’t otherwise come to him. Unfortunately, there are almost always “small print” exceptions to this “discount” resulting in very few situations in which the discount applies. This is VERY misleading to potential clients. Read the small print. Also, ask yourself, “Do I want the best lawyer or the cheapest?” The best lawyers will usually get you the biggest recovery. Lawyers are professionals, just like doctors; would you want the cheapest surgeon operating on you? The discount lawyers often are volume based and focus on small recoveries in a short period of time. If an attorney advertises a 25% fee, instead of the industry standard (1/3), it is important to consider whether this attorney is qualified to get the kind of results you are entitled to. If the settlement is small, your recovery is small, despite the reduced attorney fee. 25% Discount lawyer: May recover only $5,000 for a particular claim, resulting in $3,750 to the client after attorney fee. A qualified lawyer: Using the industry standard 1/3 contingency fee, may be able to settle the same claim for $50,000 if documented properly, resulting in a net recovery of $33,333 after attorney fee.
- Trust Your Instincts – There is something to be said about first impressions. You should feel comfortable and confident with your chosen attorney almost immediately. They should be someone you genuinely like and who you can approach with questions about your case. Additionally, any staff members who will be assisting should also give you the same impression.
After sustaining an injury which leaves you with seemingly endless amounts of pain and frustration, the process of finding the perfect Baton Rouge attorney to handle your case may seem overwhelming. After all, there are many to choose from, and it can be difficult to determine where your search should begin. By considering the points listed above, you should be able to find a lawyer who is not only trustworthy and experienced in personal injury, but also one whom you feel completely comfortable with.
If you are in the Baton Rouge or the surrounding area and have been injured, contact Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers and request a free, no obligation consultation. All of our personal injury attorneys are highly qualified in the arena of personal injury law and can help you determine the best course of action for your particular case. To contact our office, click here, or call us directly at (225) 387-2323.