What Are the Steps to Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Filing a personal injury lawsuit is a complicated process made more difficult by the fact that you’re already dealing with a physical injury. The more serious your injury, the more difficult managing the picky details of a lawsuit can become.
There are deadlines to meet and documents to gather and file, and sometimes third parties, such as your doctor’s office or hospital, may not move as quickly as you need them to.
That’s where a personal injury lawyer from Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers can help. We will guide you through each stage of the process and make the process as easy on you as possible.
Below is a basic outline of the steps involved in filing your personal injury lawsuit:
- Meeting with Your Attorney – At this stage, your attorney will discuss the details of your case and what you need to do to get started.
- The Initial Paperwork – This is where your attorney will discuss documents you need to collect and the motions that must be filed at the beginning of your lawsuit.
- Fact Finding and Discovery – “Discovery” is essentially the collection of evidence put together to prove the facts of the case. Each side gathers evidence and must share information about the case.
- Resolution Before Case Goes to Trial – Some cases are resolved prior to going to trial. Settlements and motions to dismiss the case can end cases before they go to court.
- At the Trial – If you’ve never been involved in a trial, it can be a strange, intimidating experience if you don’t have an experienced lawyer by your side. Your injury attorney can explain the process of jury selection, opening arguments, witness testimony, and more.
- Collecting Your Injury Compensation – Winning at trial doesn’t mean your case is over just yet. The compensation must be collected from the negligent party in order for you to be paid.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney
Sometimes, you can’t avoid an accident, and if you were hurt due to someone’s carelessness, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
Even if you’ve started filing a personal injury claim but need help during one of the steps outlined above, we’re here for you. A personal injury lawyer from Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers can help you with your claim. Use the contact form below or call us at 225-387-2323 to get in touch.