Do I Have to Go to Court for a Personal Injury Claim?
Many people have a fear of appearing in a courtroom, regardless of their reason for being there. If you’ve been contemplating filing a claim for personal injury compensation but are worried about going to court, you may very well be hesitating because you don’t yet know the answer to this question: Do I have to go to court for a personal injury claim?
In most cases, the answer is no. Let’s explore the claim process further, though.
What Are the Steps to Filing a Personal Injury Claim?
Most personal injury cases are settled outside of the courtroom. That’s good news for you. The most important part of the personal injury claim process is negotiating with the other side to come to an agreement on fair compensation for you.
Many steps go into getting that fair agreement, however. Below is a basic idea of the steps involved in personal injury cases:
- Investigation – The first step is figuring out what caused your accident and who was responsible. To prove your case, you will need to obtain evidence, often in the form of witnesses to the accident, police reports, videos, and more.
- Documentation – To prove your injuries, you will need documented medical evidence. This will come from your doctor. You will also need to demonstrate how much your medical care cost you, so keeping receipts for the medical payments you’ve made is important.
- Claim Paperwork – There is always paperwork involved, and completing the paperwork accurately will be vital to a successful claim. Missing or incomplete paperwork can hold up the entire process.
- Negotiations – Insurance companies are usually involved in personal injury claims, and working out a fair settlement is critical. If you don’t negotiate well, you may find that your settlement check doesn’t cover all of your losses.
- Settlement or Court – Once a fair settlement agreement is reached, you can agree to it and get a check shortly thereafter. If you don’t feel that the other side is treating you fairly, you may need to take your case to court to get what you’re truly owed.
Call a Baton Rouge Personal Injury Lawyer
Do you have to go to court for a personal injury claim? Probably not. As long as the negligent parties offer you fair compensation, you can receive a settlement for your personal injury instead of filing a lawsuit and taking your case to the courtroom.
You can get legal help with your case and negotiate with insurers by calling Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers. You can discuss your case with us during a no-obligation, free consultation. Call us at 225-387-2323 or fill out the form at the bottom of this page.