Over 125 years of
Combined Experience
Get MY Free Consultation

No Fees Until You Get Paid

Can I Bring a Personal Injury Claim on Behalf of a Child?

If you’re like any responsible, caring parent, you would do anything to keep your child safe from the malicious or careless actions of others. Unfortunately, in some cases, this is beyond your control. When this happens, you may wondering what your options are for seeking justice and helping your child move forward.

Our team at Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers wants you to know that, if your child was injured because of someone else’s malicious, negligent, or reckless behavior, you have the right to take legal action. If you’re wondering whether you can bring a personal injury claim on behalf of a child, a lawyer at our firm can explain what you need to know during your family’s time of need.

Filing a Claim on Behalf of Your Minor Child

Once your child is considered a legal adult, he or she has the right to file a personal injury claim. You can’t file on your adult child’s behalf. However, if your child is younger than eighteen, you can file.

Keep in mind that any benefits your child wins in the claim will likely be held in a special account. The money in this account will only be accessible once the child is of legal age. However, if you face significant medical expenses due to your child’s injuries, you may be able to use some of the settlement to pay the bills.

Call a Baton Rouge Personal Injury Lawyer

If your child was harmed in an accident that was someone else’s fault, and you’re wondering whether you can file a personal injury claim on his or her behalf, the answer is likely yes. And our knowledgeable and compassionate team at Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers is here to help. We will fight to make sure your child gets the justice and compensation he or she deserves.

Don’t wait to get in touch with our team to discuss the details of your family’s case and find out how to move forward. You can schedule an initial consultation using our online contact form at the bottom of the page, or you can call our office directly at 225-387-2323.