What Should I Tell the Insurance Company About My Car Accident?
There’s no such thing as a good car crash, but there are some ways to improve your life in the aftermath. Properly handling your car accident could keep it from ruining your financial situation.
The first thing most people do after an accident is call the insurance company, but there are some important things you should consider before telling the insurance company anything about your accident.
If you have suffered significant injuries as a result of your auto crash, you will likely want to contact an injury attorney before speaking with an insurer. Your attorney can help you get the most compensation possible to cover your expenses and losses.
Insurance and Car Wrecks
You will want to be very careful with what you tell your insurance company after a wreck. If you say the wrong thing, you may not be able to take it back.
Below are a few guidelines on what you should and shouldn’t tell your insurance company after a car accident:
- You can give the insurer your name, address, and phone number, but do not provide details regarding the car accident. It’s very likely that you don’t truly know all the factors that caused your crash, even if you think you do. Advise the insurer to contact your lawyer.
- You shouldn’t agree to any recorded statements, especially if you don’t fully understand your coverage. The insurance company can use your statement against you to lower the value of your future injury claim.
- Don’t admit to any responsibility. Even if you think you’re the at-fault driver, you don’t know for sure that you caused the crash. You don’t want to admit fault because it could be tough to take back. If you’re responsible, the evidence will point that way later.
- Do not give details about your injuries. Some injuries won’t be felt right away, and you don’t want to limit the compensation you’re eligible for by providing a finite list of injuries.
- Don’t accept an initial settlement offer until your lawyer has helped you understand your policy and how much you’re truly owed.
Speak with a Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents are a significant cause of injuries, and while it’s probably OK to call your insurer for a minor accident, if you’ve suffered serious injuries, it’s usually best to speak with a personal injury attorney first.
Contact a car accident attorney from Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers, and we will examine your case right away. Call us at 225-387-2323 or fill out the online contact form below for more information.